Design Institute, Inje University
Founded in February 2000, the Design Institute of Inje University aims to realize the industrialization of digital interaction design (DID) based on strategies for producing good designs that bring about human-oriented interactions. The Institute has two branches, one in Seoul and the other in Gimhae.
The Seoul branch serves as a hub for the newest design trends and assists the smooth operation of a number of university-industry collaborative projects and educational programs. Featuring state-of-the-art equipments, the Gimhae branch serves as a design lab, providing support for research and practical education related to the fields of health, medical, electronics, and information. From its foundation, the Institute has sought to escape from structure-centered designs and has pursued a differentiation into human-centered designs on the basis of scientific approach. Human-centered designs can be broadly categorized into human & computer interactions and human-centered designs. The Institute has been endeavoring to establish itself as an academic foundation for design based on these two categories.
Based on these researches and efforts, in July 2002 the institute was selected for the first time in the field of design as a beneficiary of the Center for Research Excellence, supported by the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Korea. The institute gained attention in both academic and industrial sectors with its outstanding performance over the past six years. In December 2011, the institute was selected once again as the only institute in design for the support program by NRF. By being selected for the 'Humanities and Social Sciences Research Institute' (formerly Center for Research Excellence) in August 2020, it has been selected as the first research institute in the design world three times in a row, enabling it to become the best research institute in the domestic design academia.
As part of its efforts to become a socially responsible research institute in design, the institute is dedicated to conducting a new paradigm of user-centered research based on interaction designs which has been studied so far. I hope to interact with you through our renovated homepage and also cordially ask you to share any of your opinions about the institute.
- 2020 Designated as a 'Humanities and Social Sciences Research Institute' supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (2020-2026)
- 2019 Awarded ‘Excellent Research’ by Ministry of Education 2019
- 2019 Presidential Citation at the Korea Design Awards (Director of Design Research Institute)
- 2017 Conducted 3rd stage Research ‘Service Oriented u-Healthcare Design (2017-2020)
- 2015 ‘Journal of Integraded Design Research' was selected as KCI Accredited Journal by the National Research Foundation of Korea
- 2015 Awarded ‘Excellent Research’ by Ministry of Education
- 2014 Conducted 2nd stage Research ‘Environment Based u-Healthcare Design (2014-2017)
- 2013 Selected as the 3rd stage of BK21plus Support Projects (Healthcare U-Service Design, 2013-2020)
- 2012 Selected as Healthcare Service Design Development Program supported by Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy
- 2011 Re-selected as the 'Center for Research Excellence' supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (2011-2020)
- 2010 Published ‘Journal of Integrated Design Research' by the Design Institute of Inje University, which was selected as KCI Candidated Journal by the National Research Foundation of Korea
- 2008 Supervised and hosted the international and joint design conference for Korean Society of Design Science, Ergonomics Society of Korea and Korean Society of Emotion and Sensibility
- 2006 Selected as the 2nd stage of BK21 Support Projects (Smart Home UID Project, 2006-2013)
- 2002 Selected as the 'Center for Research Excellence' supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (2002-2008, Firstly selected in the field of design)
- 2000 Founded at Inje University, South Korea